This page is used to track the process and progress of the R2013a release. It is a tailored implementation of a general release process, so some steps may not be applicable directly to this release.
Table of contents
Target Date: April 02, 2013
All dates are referenced to 12:00 noon EDT.
For example, a deadline of March 15 should be interpreted as March 15, 12:00 noon EDT.
These are long-lead early tasks that can be completed before the detailed release cycle.
|Get updated legal statement||SPH||Needed by Code Freeze.|
|Configure JIRA for release||JJKP|
Proposed use of JIRA to track tasks:
|Put in materials printing tickets||JJKP|
|Update sample scripts||SPH|
Needed by App Freeze.
|Write draft Release Notes||JJKP|
Needed by App Freeze.
|Update standard descriptive text||SPH|
Needed by App Freeze.
Will be used in User Guide, websites, release announcement.
|Update info on public-facing websites||JJKP|
Needed by Release Day.
See the list of sites. Update this list as well, if necessary.
|Update release announcement contacts||SPH||Needed by Release Day.|
- Do we want these release tasks to show up in your JIRA lists, or would you rather use a page like this to track them?
- What kinds of printed materials do we want? Bound reference guides? Full copies of the User Guide?
For QA Complete (March 13)
QA complete means that all known bugs are being tracked, all bug fixes are verified and documented, and the release process can begin.
|Verify that all known bugs are checked into JIRA||(All)|
|Complete all JIRA verifications||(All)|
|Complete QA wrap-up tasks||DSC, SPH, JJKP, RQ|
|Address all JIRA tickets awaiting feedback||(All)|
- I added this to capture items that need to be done in order for the developers to get ready for Visual Freeze and beyond.
For Visual Freeze (March
Visual Freeze finalizes all graphical changes to the software, so that screenshots, documentation, and TestComplete can be updated.
|Update links in GMAT.ini|
|Update About panel|
|Update splash screen||TGG|
Switch to release configuration in script test system
|Complete visual updates||(All)|
Is TestComplete set up to test the Help buttons and the Welcome Page links, or do we need to do it manually?
- Do we want to test both Internal and Public versions separately?
- I think we can push this back to March 19. I don't think we'll need 7 days to get ready for App Freeze.
For Code Freeze (March
Code Freeze is a freeze on the software itself before final testing.
|Update EOP files||WCS||Update |
|Update files w/ updated legal statement||LOJ|
|Final bug fixes||(All)|
- Are there any other data files we need to update?
- I think we can push this back to March 27. For R2012a, Code Freeze and App Freeze were the same date.
For App Freeze (March 27)
App Freeze is a freeze on all application bundle files beyond data and code. This includes documentation, sample scripts, stuff in the
extras folder, etc.
|Update||JJKP||Update with major release highlights.|
|Update PDF files in docs folder||SPH/DJC|
|Gather list of compatibility changes since last release||(Feature leads)|
|Update Release Notes||JJKP|
|Update screenshots in User Guide||(Feature leads)|
|Test User Guide instructions & code||(Feature leads)|
|Update Windows installer package||JJKP|
|Send printed material to TIMS||JJKP|
Testing of Release Candidate 1 (March 27–28)
This will start with the 2013-03-27 daily build. Repeat this phase until tests check out. Steve will make the call.
|Update README.txt||JJKP||(For RC2+) Update with any late-breaking notes.|
Build Windows installer
Bundle Windows zip
|Run TestComplete regression tests||TGG||These are tests on the packaged versions of GMAT: the installer and the zip bundle.|
|Run TestComplete system test missions||JMB||These are tests on the packaged versions of GMAT: the installer and the zip bundle.|
|Run script test system||SJH||These are tests on the packaged versions of GMAT: the installer and the zip bundle.|
|Test all sample scripts||SPH|
- I don't think we have time to run the GUI regression tests on each release candidate. Do we have GUI smoke tests we can use?
- While this cycle is ongoing is a good time to do wiki updates and cleanup.
Stage Release (April 1)
This is a soft release, putting all the files in place and updating information. Then on release day, we only need to send the announcements.
|Bundle source code and upload to SourceForge||DJC|
|Bundle data and upload to SourceForge||DJC|
|Upload Windows installer to SourceForge||JJKP|
|Upload Windows zip to SourceForge||JJKP|
|Post README.txt on SourceForge||JJKP|
|Post internal & public release files to MESA network||JJKP|
Branch and tag repository
|Make SourceForge repository backup||JJKP||Follow SourceForge's instructions.|
|Send files to TiMS for CDs||JJKP|
- Do we want users to be able to build a working GMAT from the source code bundle? I think we need to include more directories than are mentioned above. (e.g. application?)
- Why do we need a separate data bundle?
Release Day (April 2)
Make files visible on SourceForge
|Send out release announcement||SPH|
|Post release announcement on SourceForge||SPH|
|Post release announcement on GMAT Blog||JJKP|
|Conduct postmortem review||SPH||This includes gathering feedback, holding the postmortem meeting, and documenting the results.|
|Submit NTR for next release||SPH|
General cleanup of infrastructure:
- We need a plan for post-release maintenance of R2013a. How do we decide if something's worth making a service release?
Notes for postmortem
Please add your notes to the Release R2013a Process Notes document.
This is a list of compatibility changes since R2012a that need to be captured in the release notes.
Spacecraft.CurrA1MJD parameter is deprecated
ImpulsiveBurn.V, ImpulsiveBurn.N, ImpulsiveBurn.B parameters are deprecated
non-Earth planet NutationUpdateInterval field is removed
restricted setting CoordinateSystem Epoch, Primary, Secondary, XAxis, YAxis, ZAxis fields
restricted setting CoordinateSystem Origin field